There’s never been a better time than right now to learn how to start fishing. As demands of daily life and routine beg for our constant attention, it’s important to be intentional about setting aside time for rest, recreation, and recharging. When we do, research shows increased productivity, health benefits, and a happier overall wellbeing. So, what are you waiting for? Here are five reasons to learn how to start fishing today!
- Spending time in nature – We could all use more of the great outdoors! It’s nice to get outside our homes, cars, and offices, and be surrounded by trees, water, skies, and all the sights and sounds of nature.
- Health benefits – Naturally, spending time in nature comes with great health benefits—for free! Breathing in fresh air, improving circulation, soaking in sunshine and vitamin D, reducing stress, and increasing happiness. And when you reel in that catch, enjoying that burst of feel-good hormones.
- Solo sport or group activity – The choice is yours! If you prefer some alone time, fishing is one of the best ways to clear your mind… of everything except fishing, of course. Want company? Load up the family or bring along some friends.
- All skill levels welcome – Fishing for beginners doesn’t have to be overwhelming. It’s like any sport; start with the basic little league stuff, then work your way up to the pros. This beginner’s guide will help you figure out the need-to-haves versus the nice-to-haves.
- Cost effective – You don’t need a big boat or expensive gear to start fishing. Shore fishing for beginners can be just as productive and is accessible to everyone. Check your state fish and wildlife agency for local fishing spots near you or use our interactive map.
Are you convinced to finally learn how to start fishing? Great! Check out this list of essentials for everything you need to get started, including beginner fishing gear. Now, get out there and enjoy it!